The journey from a bare plot of land to a multi-award-winning 28-room hotel began in 2017 when the Cazemiers, a local Dunedin family, and property investment company Otherplaces found a site that offered the perfect opportunity to combine their passion for hospitality, architecture and art.
The vision was centred to create a contemporary neighbourhood hotel of unique design that provides relaxed luxury. The Hotel was named Ebb after the site's historic location on the edge of the now reclaimed Otago Harbour tidal flats. On the ebb tide, Polynesian travellers would have first landed on the exposed tidal flats before stepping foot on land.
Ebb was named after the site's historic location on the edge of the now reclaimed Otago Harbour tidal flats.
To root the hotel to a sense of place, this narrative is embodied in the building and identity, starting with the facade. Ebb founders commissioned local Ōtepoti artist Simon Kaan to create a large-scale artwork to wrap the entire 3 story facade of the building. Simon's meditative artwork depicts Polynesian wakas first arriving through the heads of the Otago Harbour, with the view of the land and sky from the sea.
Ebb Dunedin is an ode to our unique place in the world. Whether you want wild and woolly walks along our rugged coastline, or a stroll in the streets of this historic city, Ebb is inspired by all the people, places and things that make Dunedin special.
We look forward to welcoming you to explore, escape or simply go with the flow.
- Designers Institute of New Zealand - Best Design Awards Winner Bronze 2021 - Small Brand Identity
- Architectural Designers New Zealand (ADNZ) - Commended Award 2021 - Commercial/Industrial Category
- New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) - Winner 2022 Southern Architecture Award and Resene Colour Award - Hospitality Category
- New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) - Winner 2022 New Zealand Architecture Award - Commercial Category
- New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) - Named Awards 2022 - Sir Miles Warren Award for Commercial Architecture
- Property Council New Zealand - Excellence Award 2022 - Tourism & Leisure Property Award
- Window & Glass Association NZ - Supreme Winner & Designing with Glass – Commercial 2022
- The Hotel Conversation -New boutique Dunedin hotel set for summer 2021 opening
- Sleeper - Ebb Dunedin Hotel slated for opening this summer in New Zealand
- Hotel Magazine - New Zealand's first modernist boutique hotel
- Hotel Management - Dunedin to welcome ‘modernist boutique’ Ebb hotel
- The Spinoff - How to do Dunedin
- ODT - Boutique hotel opening in city today
- The Hotel Conversation - Inside the new CL Hotels Ebb Dunedin
- AFR - Hello New Zealand: Travel horizons are finally expanding
- Stuff - Dunedin: A guide to New Zealand's most fashionable city
- Verve Magazine - May 2021
- Stuff - Ebb hotel: Modern luxury in the heart of historic Dunedin
- Kōkako - Why we love Ōtepoti — 48 Hours in Dunedin
- MAUD X Ebb Dunedin - Brand Identity
- NZ Herald - New Zealand's most luxury city breaks
- Newshub - Review: Staying at Dunedin's new boutique hotel Ebb is like sleeping in an art gallery
- NZ Herald - Hotel review: Dunedin's new adults-only Ebb Hotel
- Here Magazine - Issue 08 - Down on the Shore
- Fashion Quarterly - The Happiness Edition - Winter 2021
- Stuff - Three of New Zealand's most accessible hotels
- ODT - A celebration of design
- Kia Ora Magazine - October 2021
- Stuff - Room review: Ebb-Dunedin strikes a balance between cool, comfortable and decadent
- MEWS - Ebb-Dunedin Customer Story
- Trends - The hotel that celebrates its city
- Stuff - Five luxe hotels in and around Dunedin if you have some cash to splash
- Stuff - These are Aotearoa’s 22 best new restaurants
- NZ House & Garden - March 2022
- Neat Places - Ebb-Dunedin
- James Dunlop - In Use Project - Ebb-Dunedin
- Otago Daily Times - The art of the city
- Broadsheet - Ebb-Dunedin
- RNZ - ASIA: Art Stories In Aotearoa - Episode 1: Fine Arts; sculptor Yona Lee, Yuki Kihara and Simon Kaan.
- AFR - Four brilliantly designed new places to stay at in NZ
- BP&O - Ebb Dunedin by Maud
- The Local Project - Issue 11
- Architecture NZ Magazine - March 2023
- Broadsheet - Artist Simon Kaan on Finding Inspiration and Tranquillity in Ōtepoti Dunedin